On the 23rd and 24th of September, the city of Barcelona was the setting for a two-day event that was entirely dedicated to haute cuisine. After the brand new Food Meets Science symposium and Area Talks, the award gala at the University of Barcelona was the climax of this culinary event. In the presence of guests from all over the world, chef Björn Frantzén won The Best Chef Top100 Award, followed by chef Joan Roca (winner of the two previous editions) in second and chef David Muñoz in third place.
The award gala is a global event with chefs from all over the world, travelling from the United States, Mexico, the United Arab Emirates, Japan and from all over Europe for the hottest culinary gala. For the third year in a row, The Best Chef Award was presented to honour the world’s best chef, as well as other awards in various categories.
We are very proud, that for the first time Bogle White Caviar was a partner in this extraordinary initiative.
The most prestigious awards went to familiar faces, as well as several newcomers:
- The Best Chef Top100 Award powered by Barilla winner: Björn Frantzén of restaurant Frantzén in Stockholm, Sweden. The second place is for Joan Roca (Spain), who won the award in 2017 and 2018, the third place goes to David Muñoz (Spain). Last year, Björn Frantzén took the fourth place after David Muñoz (third place), René Redzepi (second place) and Joan Roca (first place).
- The Best Chef City Gourmet Award winner: Disfrutar with Mateu Casañas, Oriol Castro and Eduard Xatruch (Barcelona, Spain). This category award recognized the best chef and restaurant in the host city of the yearly award show.
- The Best Chef Rising Star Award winner: Pía León of restaurant Kjolle in Lima, Peru. This young chef wins this award as an appreciation for her talent and progress in the world of gastronomy.
- The Best Chef Fol-LOVERS Award winner: Grégoire Berger of restaurant Ossiano in Dubai. It is already the second year in a row for Grégoire Berger to win this award, that was introduced in 2018 to value the opinion of the audience of The Best Chef’s followers on social media.
- The Best Chef Pastry Award winner: Jordi Roca of restaurant El Cellar de Can Roca in Girona, Spain. This award celebrates the best pastry chef among all chefs.
- The Best Chef Food Art Award winner: Daniel Watkins of restaurant St Leonards in London, UK. This award is dedicated to the Best Artist among all chefs.
- The Best Chef New Entry Award winner: Disfrutar with Mateu Casañas, Oriol Castro and Eduard Xatruch, in Barcelona, Spain. This category award honours the chef(s) who achieves the highest ranking amongst the new candidates.
- The Best Chef Voted by Chefs Award winner: Grant Achatz of restaurant Alinea in Chicago, USA. This award is dedicated to chef mostly voted by other chefs.
- The Best Chef Legend Award winner: Eckart Witzigmann. This category award celebrates the best chef who is not active in the kitchen as a chef anymore, but who still has a crucial impact on the world of gastronomy.
The novelty of this year’s Best Chef Awards event program was the ‘Food Meets Science’ symposium powered by Estrella Damm. This conference took place in Barcelona on the 23rd of September at The Old Estrella Damm Brewery. The goal of this event was to create an exchange between science and cooking, giving insight into what actually happens in the brain when food is consumed, and how the brain influences food choices.
Speakers included fellow scientists Prof. Charles Spence, creator of the term gastrophysic and head of the Crossmodal Research Laboratory at Oxford University; Dr. Nicola Pirastu representing the University of Edinburgh and Dr. Paul Smeets from the University Medical Center Utrecht, as well as renewed Chefs Grant Achatz, Modest Amaro, Pia Leon, Vladimir Mukhin, Davide Oldani and Joan Roca.
We would like to thank all those who attended the event for their interest in our product – Bogle White Caviar. Is was an honor and a real pleasure to offer a tasting for such valued chefs. We really appreciate all opinions about our product and we look forward to next event like this.